Dashing

The arrows dash was in need of some help. The digital gauges were to bright, the boost gauge read -14 no matter what.

I pulled it out and ordered some different gauges.

Now there is room for five gauges. The fifth hole is there, I just need to cut out the wood grain peel and stick cabinet lament.

I also replaced the radiator with an oem style copper/brass one.

What you’ve been missing

Not much. Actually, not much, so the Comanche is drivetrain less, and the purple jeep is about to be, and the broke jeep is just, broke. In order to get the arrow out of the garage, something has to move. So the arrow snuck out carefully with the aid of a jack.

I’m running eight pounds of boost, on the stock 2L block, crank and rods, with new pistons, a non jet valve head, conquest cam, and Megasquirt throttle body injection. It runs well. The new radiator is on the way. Along with new gauges because the bright blue digital ones overtake the road at night.

http://ilostmymind.com/wordp/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/video0023.3gp

The above was filmed with a potato for informational purposes.

So the 5.9L is coming together, and I’ve got the mounts ready to be installed in the mj chassis. I need to get rid of its old drivetrain so it’s out of my way.

But the engine is assembled, I need to change the transmission filter, but otherwise it’s ready to line up in the mj chassis.

Jeep days

So the Comanche needs some dissembling before it gets to a good point, so that’s what this weekend was made up of.

image

I have to take all the suspension/axles off to put on the scrap zj.

image

The front was challenging.

image

I had to cut/grind the upper control arm bolt off.

image

But it came free.

image

The rear was very simple, but I did decide to cut off every brake line. It’ll make sense later. Longer lines and what not. Ford parts and junk.

image

Had to cut off the u bolts. With a torch.

image

And then I isolated the engine harness from the engine bay body harness. Because a 5.2L swap makes sense.

image

Then we went fishing.

Spring is in the air

With 50s and sunny, February is starting to feel like spring! But since this is Michigan, it could be winter tomorrow, so seize the day!

image

image

Got the arrow all aired out, so I could rearrange the garage so I have room to walk and tear open the 5.9L for the jeep.

image

That went pretty smooth. Until an intake manifold bolt broke off in the head. But whatever, I’ve got the technology to get that out.

image

Looks like the crank has been turned before. I didn’t get to checking the bore yet.

Changed the tie rod

So I had a clunk coming from the front end that went away after I greased all the tie rod ends. Then it came back. I narrowed it down to the Pitman arm tie rod. Thanks to Orly’s, the clunk is now gone. I figured since I got 33s for the jeep, it should have properly working steering.

image

image

The wheels are terrible. I’ll get the soft eights back on there asap. They have a better offset as well as looking better.

The rear end shuffle

image

So the 5.9 that I bought must have had some replacements done at one point or another. It had an open Dana 35 in the rear, but the build sheet says locker.
The broke 5.2 had a lsd Dana 44. The results seem obvious.

image

Build sheet correct. It seems to have a zj f>r done. And the v8 front springs will lift a 4.0 i6 zj about an inch. Now I need to install the towing package springs for the rear. Or f>r it. Either way.

image

I had to take a short break.

image

But there’s more to come.