On a jeep and an intake manifold.
The front axle is going to be swapped into the black jeep, and the black jeeps will be Frankenstein monstered with the 5.9s. While the motors get pulled the axle removal seemed easy.
The fuel rail and intake manifold are coming together quite swimmingly.
The intake is getting closer to done. Today I worked on the fuel rail a little.
I mean jeep.
It’s getting out of control around here.
The 5.2L got smashed in the ass. So I bought a 5.9L to replace it. That seems like a legitimately sane decision.
There’s a noise, and oil pressure builds when you rev it up.
Whatever, I’ll just fix it. It also has every normal problem a 1998 should have.
-coolant sensor error on the Vic
-automatic lights jitter
-sunroof doesn’t open
-hatch and glass struts are blown
-front diversion noise/leaks
-electric door locks don’t work
-someone used too much air freshener
This particular one has runny spray painted taillights, a plugged sunroof drain (I believe), a 3″ lift, new tires and rims, a non functional remote entry/maybe alarm. And some other piddly crap.
It seems to be the same color as the 5.2L, so that’s nice, same color interior too.
Now I wait for the carpet to dry and a battery to charge.
So I decided to go with 1.75″ 16 gauge mandrel bent steel pipe and 1/4″ sheet metal for my new MPFI intake manifold.
The plenum is a little over 3 liters displacement. The runners are within my desired range of 9-13″. This should provide a torque range of 3-6k rpm.
The fitment is pretty close, but I can adjust the location of my brake proportioning valve. The intake elbow needs to be addressed, I think a silicone coupler will make quick work of that.
Then there is the tri y header I’m making.
With all this cutting, something had to break.
I wired up the headlights with a standard 4pin Molex desktop pc power connector. It is pinned: ground, ground, low, high.
I also ported the hell out of an exhaust manifold that I welded a t3/t4 flange onto. I ported through it in fact.
A lot of material was removed. It is a lot smoother transition now.
The smell of race gas, fresh tire rubber, paint burning off new exhaust components. The sound of a symphony of explosions, sucked, squished, and banged out! Today U.S. 12 Speed and Custom had a dyno day. I went to watch.
No-one I knew.
I met some interesting people.
So the old style sealed beams are a little old school these days. That means there’s something better out there.
I tried hid retrofit into a 7″ housing with dual stage bulbs/ballasts, those didn’t work out well at all. So now I’m going to try something new.
The Tig is already coming in handy.
So after looking into the mass of ideas from OEM and aftermarket intake manifolds, I’ve decided on a design.
It’s a long runner, fairly large plenum, and big throttle design.
Here is the preliminary layout.
The long tubes need about 3″ cut off the length, then a slash cut on the top. The injectors will be at an angle toward the firewall, they shouldn’t interfere with the heater hoses. I’ll only be able to use the shorty injectors from the looks of it. Good thing I have those, instead of the tall ND/Rochester style.
I’m going to attempt at drawing the whole thing in cad first.
I got some filler rod and switched to argon/co2 blend for the steel.
It makes really cool colors. Pretty decent welds also. I’m getting better.
I laid some primer down in the engine bay, and on the louvers. The engine bay, then got a coat of Bahama blue (gm color), because it comes closest to the “bright blue” used by mitsu/chrysler.
I was thinking of going back to a mechanical fan, but I think I’d rather have that power to the wheels, and just use an electric fan.
The louvers got a fresh splatter of bed liner. The engine bay got a nice shot of clear coat over the banana blue.
I ordered parts for actual performance stuff, so I’ll take a break on body junk. But I think this arrow might be getting the jet package. Well, a DIY version of it.