Not much. Actually, not much, so the Comanche is drivetrain less, and the purple jeep is about to be, and the broke jeep is just, broke. In order to get the arrow out of the garage, something has to move. So the arrow snuck out carefully with the aid of a jack.
I’m running eight pounds of boost, on the stock 2L block, crank and rods, with new pistons, a non jet valve head, conquest cam, and Megasquirt throttle body injection. It runs well. The new radiator is on the way. Along with new gauges because the bright blue digital ones overtake the road at night.
The above was filmed with a potato for informational purposes.
So the 5.9L is coming together, and I’ve got the mounts ready to be installed in the mj chassis. I need to get rid of its old drivetrain so it’s out of my way.
But the engine is assembled, I need to change the transmission filter, but otherwise it’s ready to line up in the mj chassis.
So the Comanche needs some dissembling before it gets to a good point, so that’s what this weekend was made up of.
I have to take all the suspension/axles off to put on the scrap zj.
The front was challenging.
I had to cut/grind the upper control arm bolt off.
But it came free.
The rear was very simple, but I did decide to cut off every brake line. It’ll make sense later. Longer lines and what not. Ford parts and junk.
Had to cut off the u bolts. With a torch.
And then I isolated the engine harness from the engine bay body harness. Because a 5.2L swap makes sense.
Then we went fishing.
With 50s and sunny, February is starting to feel like spring! But since this is Michigan, it could be winter tomorrow, so seize the day!
Got the arrow all aired out, so I could rearrange the garage so I have room to walk and tear open the 5.9L for the jeep.
That went pretty smooth. Until an intake manifold bolt broke off in the head. But whatever, I’ve got the technology to get that out.
Looks like the crank has been turned before. I didn’t get to checking the bore yet.
So I had a clunk coming from the front end that went away after I greased all the tie rod ends. Then it came back. I narrowed it down to the Pitman arm tie rod. Thanks to Orly’s, the clunk is now gone. I figured since I got 33s for the jeep, it should have properly working steering.
The wheels are terrible. I’ll get the soft eights back on there asap. They have a better offset as well as looking better.
The fuel pump block off plate was fairly simple to make. It seems I misplaced, lost, or just gave away the one I think I had. Angie said I could probably make one, so that’s what I did.
I also cleaned up the trans pan so I can finally install the gasket.
So the 5.9 that I bought must have had some replacements done at one point or another. It had an open Dana 35 in the rear, but the build sheet says locker.
The broke 5.2 had a lsd Dana 44. The results seem obvious.
Build sheet correct. It seems to have a zj f>r done. And the v8 front springs will lift a 4.0 i6 zj about an inch. Now I need to install the towing package springs for the rear. Or f>r it. Either way.
I had to take a short break.
But there’s more to come.
Broke jeep donated its hitch wiring to the black jeep. We’ll see how this 4.0 compares to the 5.9 Cummins in tow capacity. Hah! Anyways.
The connector got blown up in the accident. Upgrade!
All the wiring is twisted, soldered, and shrink tube sealed.
7 and 4 pin connector. I like this style because you don’t need an adapter. I had one on the Cummins, it was nice. This one seems to be wired a little better than the Cummins, but this is an oem wiring harness. I believe the 5.9 jeep has an oem harness as well.