So the Montero went into 2wd mode only. There’s no option for that on the transfer case. So in Awd, it just wouldn’t go, and made a gear on gear grinding noise. In 4wd, I got the rear wheels powered. So my catastrophizing brain “knows” the transfer case or front differential broke. The grinding is probably the chain in the transfer case, right?
So I bought a parts truck with a good tcase and front diff. It had a front impact, so it wasn’t suitable to put my good parts on it, so it got dismantled and the body got scraped. Plus the frame was rotted through.
Come to find out, the front driver side wheel hub was stripped….
Luckily! The parts truck has two of these! Yay!
In the mean time, I installed a 2 speed electric fan from a Ford Taurus and replaced my leaky coolant hoses. Now the heat works!
Low and high speed temperature sensors installed, with an oem thermostat. I absolutely love having a TIG welder and being able to use it. I also replaced the fuel tank because the high pressure fuel line was full of pin holes, thus my 11mpg.
I have a small hand full of things to finish on it, like the exhaust, but it’s back on the road and ready for adventure!
Not much. Actually, not much, so the Comanche is drivetrain less, and the purple jeep is about to be, and the broke jeep is just, broke. In order to get the arrow out of the garage, something has to move. So the arrow snuck out carefully with the aid of a jack.
I’m running eight pounds of boost, on the stock 2L block, crank and rods, with new pistons, a non jet valve head, conquest cam, and Megasquirt throttle body injection. It runs well. The new radiator is on the way. Along with new gauges because the bright blue digital ones overtake the road at night.
The above was filmed with a potato for informational purposes.
So the 5.9L is coming together, and I’ve got the mounts ready to be installed in the mj chassis. I need to get rid of its old drivetrain so it’s out of my way.
But the engine is assembled, I need to change the transmission filter, but otherwise it’s ready to line up in the mj chassis.
On a jeep and an intake manifold.
The front axle is going to be swapped into the black jeep, and the black jeeps will be Frankenstein monstered with the 5.9s. While the motors get pulled the axle removal seemed easy.
The fuel rail and intake manifold are coming together quite swimmingly.
The intake is getting closer to done. Today I worked on the fuel rail a little.
So I decided to go with 1.75″ 16 gauge mandrel bent steel pipe and 1/4″ sheet metal for my new MPFI intake manifold.
The plenum is a little over 3 liters displacement. The runners are within my desired range of 9-13″. This should provide a torque range of 3-6k rpm.
The fitment is pretty close, but I can adjust the location of my brake proportioning valve. The intake elbow needs to be addressed, I think a silicone coupler will make quick work of that.
Then there is the tri y header I’m making.
With all this cutting, something had to break.
So the old style sealed beams are a little old school these days. That means there’s something better out there.
I tried hid retrofit into a 7″ housing with dual stage bulbs/ballasts, those didn’t work out well at all. So now I’m going to try something new.
The Tig is already coming in handy.